Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Constructive criticism required

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Klemme's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2003
    Posts
    854
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Your jazz playing is Epic!

    Man, those gadd things, you're using in a very personal way that i wouldn't think off Gadd doing it. Tasty!

    Love the Hi-hat ! i'm pretty much getting lured into the 13" size too.!

    I woul so much more like to hear you play to a tune before i can say something, else...

    I can't critizise your playing Rudy, only learn from it!

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Lol klemme, thanks, but as long as you don't learn from my timing! You're too kind, but to me, those gadd things sound too much like, well, just gadd licks. I'll be working them into my own style though. I was listening to dicenso and noticed that he's got a few kind of gadd'ish' licks but very much with his own stamp on it. That's where I wanna get to as well, put my own stamp on it [img]smile.gif[/img]

    donu, do you mean clip 204 with those things at 0:22 to 0:32? They consist of 1/32nd notes. Basically playing:

    '1' (Bass drum)
    'e' (Right hand hihat)
    '+' (Left hand snare)
    'a' (Bass drum)
    '2' (Right hand hihat).

    But double up the 'e' and '+' into 1/32nd notes so it's RR LL instead of just RL.

    So, it's
    B RRLL B R.
    1-e-+- a-2

  3. #13
    cjbdrm
    Guest cjbdrm's Avatar

    Post

    The 'upbeat' exercise can be played any way you want, really...I tap my leg whle driving in my car, listening to a CD, for instance. You can use any number of limbs you want...the exercise just makes you hear and 'feel' that part of the beat a lot better after some practice. I would definitely do it on the hi-hat as well (like you played it).

    If you do the quarter note with your throat or bob your head to keep your internal clock going, that's cool. Just don't play it with your legs or hands(maybe closing the hi-hat is okay)-it makes the exercise easier. This isn't a strict exercise- come up with a way to make it work for you. This is how I've applied it and I know it works. You can also apply it in a jazz context- playing the last note of triplets. This will really help with your Jazz phrasing...

    Again, you sound great! I also would like to hear you play with some music as well.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 17, 2005 08:25 PM: Message edited by: cjbdrm ]</font>

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok, nice one cjbdrm, those are really good ideas for me to work on. Thanks for sharing that advice man.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Suspiria's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice. I enjoy these exercises that don't require a set or sticks - perfect pass-time in boring lectures [img]cool.gif[/img]

  6. #16
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Haha, I WISH I was a teenager again. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    Henry, it was recorded with one sony mic pointed at the kit and a minidisc. So yeah, it sounds flat.
    100% agree with you on me rushing those fills a bit. Thank you for the comments, I'm taking them all onboard to be dealt with [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Drumdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    171
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    playing is good. Hat's sound a little too brittle for me. Could be the recording and the fact they're the loudest thing being picked up. Keep up the good work.
    Sammy J

  8. #18
    Inactive Member donu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2004
    Posts
    1,000
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Rudy_Ment:
    [QB donu, do you mean clip 204 with those things at 0:22 to 0:32? They consist of 1/32nd notes. Basically playing:

    '1' (Bass drum)
    'e' (Right hand hihat)
    '+' (Left hand snare)
    'a' (Bass drum)
    '2' (Right hand hihat).

    But double up the 'e' and '+' into 1/32nd notes so it's RR LL instead of just RL.

    So, it's
    B RRLL B R.
    1-e-+- a-2[/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, like most good lick they are simple when explain but feel So good [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  9. #19
    Inactive Member LDGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2004
    Posts
    382
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That is a genuine Gadd lick.

    Check it out - about a quarter of the way through he uses the exact same lick we've all been talking about.

    Great Gadd playing, too... http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/S...llective2.html

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

  10. #20
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok, I need some help on recording please. I'm calling on methodair if he's around since he's clued up about this stuff, or anyone else that knows [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    I'm trying to record some stuff at home with my own humble little setup, but I'm having problems with distortion and presence. This is my desk with sliders set as per test recording below:

    http://jamesseph.phpwebhosting.com/DRuM's%20Stuff/Drums7.jpg

    This is the mic setup:
    http://jamesseph.phpwebhosting.com/DRuM's%20Stuff/Drums9.jpg
    http://jamesseph.phpwebhosting.com/DRuM's%20Stuff/Drums8+.jpg

    I'm sharing one mic per 2 toms. SM57 on snare, D12 inside BD. The floor tom mic is pretty shit, and I've pointed it more towards the 15 because otherwise it doesn't get picked up. If I turn up any of the trim pots up even slightly there's distortion, but there is more presence. So I've got all trims on zero. Even so, there's clipping on the cymbals as you can hear. The recording was flat, so I've added 10 dB to it and reverb. How can I improve the sound, get more presence and get rid of distortion? I also have 2 pzm flat plate mics as overheads which I haven't stuck to the wall yet, but I will. It's all going into minidisc btw. I'm not looking for perfection since I'd need more expensive gear for that, but I'd like to improve it. Where should the left and right channel sliders to the far right of the desk be set approximately?
    Thanks.

    http://jamesseph.phpwebhosting.com/DRuM's%20Stuff/Test%20levels%202.mp3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •